If you just purchased a hot tub for the cold fall and winter seasons, or are new to hot tub care, you’ll be happy to know that hot tub maintenance can be simple. If you avoid these five common hot tub care mistakes, you’ll save time and hassle:
1. Keeping your hot tub uncovered
Keeping your hot tub covered prevents debris, like leaves, sticks and dirt, from getting in the water and throwing off water chemical balance. Covers can also help keep your energy costs down by trapping in warm air.
2. No temperature control
Do not forget to turn the water temperature down after using your hot tub. Keeping the water temperature lower, and the tub covered when it is not in use, can save a lot of energy and money.
3. Ignoring cleaning filters
Air and other debris can clog the filters and, over time, can cause a back up, which leads to unnecessary energy consumption. Clean your filters regularly to make sure they are running efficiently.
4. Not showering off before getting in
Body lotions, sweat, hair and other organic materials react with chlorine forming harmful chloramines. Chloramines can cause irritation, asthma and other health issues. Shower off before getting in the tub to keep chloramines to a minimum. Additionally, showering off can reduce the number of times you will need to clean the filters.
5. Using the wrong chemicals
Using harsh chemicals can cause premature degradation of hot tub parts. Chlorine is a common sanitizer; however, handling, storing and balancing chlorine is tedious and harmful to your health. Advanced oxidation spa systems, like Clear Comfort, provides a healthy and environmentally friendly way to treat your spa without the hassle of chlorine.
As you can see, the most common and problematic hot tub care mistake can be easily avoided. This hot tub season, take care of your hot tub so it can take care of you.
Latest posts by Claire McDaniel (see all)
- Six Common Swimming Pool Myths: Setting the Record Straight - February 24, 2020
- Lifeguard Lung: The Hidden Danger for Indoor Swimming Pools - November 22, 2019
- Which Pool System is Right for You? - October 24, 2019
- Pool Size Comparison: Olympic Size, 25 Meter & 25 Yard - September 15, 2017
- Are you making these 5 hot tub care mistakes? - September 8, 2017